Thursday, June 18, 2009

Off to the OR

OK, the nervous energy is taking over, so another quick post.



Jake spent a pretty good night. They cut off his fluids at midnight, but let him have a little water so that he could rinse & spit to keep his mouth from completely drying out. He slept most of the night, but sat up for a while and we talked about stuff we'll be doing at home while he recuperates. He's got a couple projects he wants to do in the garage and we are thinking about trying out some custom t-shirt screen printing. I pulled up a YouTube video on how to screen print. The guys in the video are total nerds, so I think Jake enjoyed it.

Denise showed up at about 4:00-ish and I headed to our motel, a short 2 blocks from the hospital. Got about 3-1/2 hours of sleep. Woke up, had a shower and a hearty breakfast of black coffee and chocolate covered espresso beans and headed back to the hospital.

Got here in the nick of time; as I was walking into the unit Denise called to say they were there to take him down to surgery.

Rode the elevater to the OR, said our "See you in a little" and "Love You" and then parted company. Now we start waiting. The hospital issued us a pager, so we'll get some updates when he goes into surgery, midway through, when he's out and when he's in the recovery room. So now we hurry up and wait.

My poor sister, Jean, was on her way to be with us this morning, but is stuck in a Sigalert on the 91 freeway, going absolutely nowhere. Unfortunately she's in no-man's-land now; can't turn back and can't go forward. She'll be here as soon as she can.

Thanks to everyone for all the support and well wishes. I will update everyone as soon as he's back in recovery.

4 comments:

  1. The Wolfe family is first in line for those shirts once your done....you just let us know when they become available. We'd like to request an angry growl be included with our shirts, as well as the howl and red eyes....

    Too funny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. MomDenise here: I figure wolf shirts for the Wolfe Family and lion shirts for the Lyons. First time I've been able to read the blog in a few days. Is it wrong to laugh while your son is in surgery? (They took him in.) While Jim is plugged into the technological world on his shifts. I feel like I'm in a Behdoin tent made out of a hospital curtain, albeit with a cell phone. I have learned how to use T-9 language after years of the boys trying to teach me. Jean just arrived. Took her 2-1/2 hours to go 50 miles. We are being serenaded by a pianist and he was playing "Someday my Prince Will Come" and "Mr. Sandman" in a OR waiting room. Thank you so much to everyong for the best wishes and love sent our way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, maybe he can print us some Rancho Guillermo shirts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donovan asked this morning if Jake is getting better. He also said he wanted to see him but at his house not on the computer. I told him Jake is coming home soon and all he said was Yaaaaaay!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete